Text- Luke 19:1-10.
The man Zacchaeus was not a believer, nevertheless there was a desire in his heart to live a better life. He knew there could be more compared to whatever life had to offer him and he some how believed that Jesus is the channel to that satisfaction he needs.
The Bible tells us he was the chief publican, meaning he was the chief tax collector, and by virtue of this office, you can consider him to be;
I. Chief in dishonesty
II. Chief in oppressing others
III. Chief in coveting other people’s possessions
IV. Chief of sinners,
He was a sinner, yet Jesus was interested in him….He was guilty as charged by the people, yet Jesus was not there to prosecute him. There are some attributes we must know about Jesus;
1. Jesus is a friend to sinners, Luke 19:5, Luke 7:37-39.
2. It doesn’t matter the level of atrocity a man has committed, Jesus still desires that they genuinely come to know Him, Acts 9:1-5.
3. Jesus does not condemn, back-bite or witch-hunt anybody, John 8:10-11.
4. Jesus is the door to reformation, because no man ever met Jesus and remained the same, Luke 19:8.
5. Jesus will make a wreck of your earthly portfolios so that your kingdom existence will be tied to Him alone Mark 10:21-23.
Back to our study;
The man Zacchaeus was described as a rich man, meaning he was an achiever and by these standards a fulfilled man. He would have concluded there’s nothing else to labour for again, yet he laboured to see Jesus. He was also described as a man with a little stature, meaning he had great limitations even in the midst of great achievements. However, drawn by the desire for a better life he climbed a sycamore tree to see the one who upholds everything in the power of His might. **He climbed to see Jesus!!!
Zacchaeus was willing to let go of the shame, the pride, and the affluence. His quest for eternal satisfaction was more significant than anything else.
My question to you beloved is where are you right now??
- Like Zacchaeus, have you tasted all of life’s luxuries and still feel unsatisfied?
- Do you have a little stature in terms of spiritual growth?
- Are you struggling with addictions and it seem like there’s no way out?
- Do you desire a better life in Christ, yet don’t know how to have your wishes granted?
**Like Zacchaeus, locate your sycomore tree.
The sycamore tree symbolically represents those who by virtue of pursuit have gained spiritual ascendancy in Christ, this means they are people who have touched experience in their pursuit of God. Genuine believers walking on the path of eternal life and consistent with fellowship in Spirit and truth, always there to help you stand firm in the faith. They serve as your accountability partner.
**Like the sycamore tree, their work is to lift you up to Jesus until He gives you an invitation…..and this invitation is one that will change your life forever.
Note: The personalities acting as your sycamore tree are not to speak of themselves or of a denomination but of Jesus, they are to help you see Jesus by helping you grow in the faith (add stature).
Always remember this; Jesus is interested in you and He desires to abide with you- Revelations 3:20.
Lord Jesus please fill my life with your peace and help me find satisfaction in you alone….Amen.
God bless you richly!!!